Now that your second earnest money has been dropped off and attorney review and the inspection period are done, it’s safe to hire movers and start packing!  Call now to get moving estimates and secure a mover as they often get booked up weeks in advance.  Also, if you’re moving into a condo building check with the HOA President or Property Management Company to see if you need to pay any move in fees, reserve an elevator, or if there are move in restrictions, etc.

Remember that you can’t move into your new place until closing is finished as that is when you’re given the keys. Unfortunately, we can’t reserve a specific time for closing in advance although we can request AM or PM. AM usually starts around 9am and PM usually starts sometime between 1 – 3pm.  Allow 3 hours for closing, although we’ll hope to be done sooner than that.  For instance, if your closing starts at 9am expect you might not be done until noon then allow time to get to your new place before the movers arrive.  Usually we don’t know the exact time/location of closing until a few days before closing.

Recommended Movers

  • Windy City Movers  (877) 685-2334
  • New City Movers (800) 773-6644
  • Move-tastic (773) 715-3227
Whichever mover you end up using, we highly recommend asking them to bring wardrobe boxes with them for all of your hanging clothes. That way you don’t have to take everything off the hangers and pack the items up. Instead, the movers will simply grab everything in your closets that is hanging, put them on the rods in the boxes and then when you get to your new home you can just grab the hangers and hang the items back up. Saves a ton of time.


Moving Supplies

Start gathering boxes and packing supplies.  Often you can find free boxes on Craigs List.  Otherwise, Uhaul, Uline, and Usedcardboardboxes are all great places to get moving supplies. If you want to be more green/earth friendly with your move check out the Chicago Green Box at 



Moving can be incredibly stressful on pets so consider having them stay with a friend or in daycare for a few days while you move and get settled into your new place.


Request a No Parking Sign from the City

No Parking signs for residential moves are available through your local Alderman’s office. To obtain these signs, visit your Alderman’s office with proof of residency (generally the contract will work) and an ID. No Parking signs are available for an eight hour window, between the hours of 8:00 AM – 6:00 PM. Residents may not reserve space for more than one day at a time. Signs must be picked up and posted AT LEAST 48 HOURS IN ADVANCE OF THE MOVE.

PLEASE NOTE: As of August 2008, vehicles parked in violation of No Parking/ Residential Move Signs WILL NOT be ticketed or towed, per the Police Department.

The Chicago Department of Transportation also provides No Parking signs for residential moves. For a fee of $25, CDOT will provide enforcable signs to eligible moving companies (via ticketing or towing) for the day of the move. For more information on this program, please contact the Department of Transportation at 312-744-4652.


Does Your New Street Require Permit Only Parking?

Check to see if your new street requires permit only parking.  If so, City of Chicago Vehicle Stickers/Residential Parking Permits may be purchased online at the City Clerk’s website ( You will also find a complete listing of City Clerk locations, Department of Revenue Sub-Stations and Community Vendors. Please note: Community Vendors may charge a convenience fee of up to $5.50.

This content is not the product of the National Association of REALTORS®, and may not reflect NAR's viewpoint or position on these topics and NAR does not verify the accuracy of the content.